With water waste being a major issue for the health and conservation of our environment, it is always smart to practice eco-friendly tactics and methods at home. Trying to remain green will only help our planet and its future. There are various ways to do this, but one of the most important practices of becoming eco-friendly is the act of water preservation.
There are many ways a person can refrain from excessive water usage. By becoming knowledgeable in the ways and putting them into action, you can greatly decrease the amount of water being wasted in your home. Many of the water conservation methods are simple and can be easily maintained.
- Purchase low flow plumbing options. There are numerous products out there including faucets, showerheads, and toilets that help preserve water. These products may be costly at the initial purchase, but in the long run, they will save you money and preserve the amount of water being used throughout the home.
- Turn all faucets off completely when they are not in use. Make sure that the faucet isn’t dripping whenever it is meant to be off. A faucet that drips one drop of water per second will waste upwards 3,000 gallons of water annually.
- Frequently check pipes and plumbing for leaks and damage. The average household wastes more than 20 to 50 gallons of water a day and leaky plumbing is a huge culprit behind this carelessness. Hire a plumber to fix any plumbing showing signs of distress or leaking.
- Use plastic bottles full of sand or pebbles and place them in the back of the toilet. This is also referred to as the toilet tank, and helps conserve the amount of water needed to flush waste when prompted.
- Never allow hair, dental floss, fat, oil, cigarettes, or other debris to go down any type of plumbing drain. Of course, debris will gather throughout time no matter how careful you are, but if you allow a drain to become clogged, it could lead to excessive damage and expensive services.
- As a simple, cost effective fix, insulate your water pipes with foam slit covers. These covers will keep pipes from freezing in extremely cold temperatures while allowing hot water to come out faster. This stops homeowners from leaving the water running for too long while they wait for it to heat up.