Make this autumn the season that you decide to go green or to become even more environmentally friendly than you already are. Practicing eco-friendly strategies and using green products is much easier than many might assume. There are endless amount of ways to be green this fall. It’s all about getting creative and finding what works best for you and your family.
- Consider buying a solar water heater for your residential property. The initial purchase might be costly, but in time, you will save a ton of money. Solar water heaters will actually decrease the amount you pay for hot water by a staggering 80%.
- Start recycling. Dedicate an area on your property to recycling. Make sure there are appropriate waste containers and that everyone in the family is knowledgeable of what can be recycled. This includes paper, plastic, and glass.
- Get creative and reuse junk and unwanted items to construct new things. For example, gather the family and have them help you make a piece of art from a variety of discarded items, or even refurbish old furniture that is in dire need of a makeover.
- Reduce the amount of water your family wastes by fixing leaky pipes and faucets. You should also consider low flow or eco-friendly faucets, toilets, and shower heads for the bathroom and kitchen.
- Teach the family how to compost. Start a compost pile with all of your family’s food waste and other natural and biodegradable materials. This stops the waste from going to the landfill which generates harmful methane gas.
- If you intend on doing any remodeling during the fall season, look into all of the eco-friendly options made available. From green countertops, flooring and paint choices, there is no limit to what you can do for your home. Your home doesn’t have to lack in style just because you have decided to buy products that appeal to the environment’s health. Many brands are now selling a variety of fashionable products geared to the environmentally conscious.
- Before upgrading your technology, clean out your home and take all of your e-waste to a center that can dispose of it rightfully. E-waste can be extremely harmful to the world around us. Never throw any electronic device away as though it were household trash.
- Think about ridding of all your harsh cleaning supplies loaded with hazardous chemicals, and upgrade to all-natural cleaners. Not only can you purchase environmentally safe cleaners at most stores, but you can make them at home from next to nothing. Vinegar, lemon, and baking soda are just a few ingredients often used in homemade cleaning concoctions.