GreenCity Plumber Blog

Progressive Plumbing & Green Things News

Why Homes are Switching to Natural Gas

March 30, 2015 by

There’s more than just one reason why people are using natural gas furnaces rather than an electric heat pump!

Switching To Natural Gas

Natural gas is the cleanest fossil fuel and produces forty percent less carbon dioxide than coal. This type of system is convenient and comfortable, whereas electric heat pumps are known to cause an unpleasant draft. It also costs much less than propane and heating oil.

Overall, natural gas will reduce the carbon footprint of a single home by over forty percent!

If you’re looking to make an environmentally friendly change, natural gas appliances cost less than electrical appliances and are much more reliable than any other energy source. Since it is produced underground, the odds of an outage occurring is rare.

Only ten percent of energy is lost when using Natural gas, meaning the other ninety percent reaches its consumers. This beats alternative energy solutions such as electricity by a staggering 60 percent.

What Natural Gas Can Do

  • Heat Your Home
  • Make Hot Water
  • Dry Your Clothes
  • Cook Your Meals

Since natural gas burns clean, it won’t leave behind any residue, soot or ash and it is also non-toxic.

Unlike gasoline, there is no need for underground storage with natural gas, which means that there is absolutely no risk or spills or soil contamination.People can save up to as much as one thousand dollars a year by switching out their old appliances with energy efficient models.

Heating your home with electricity or propane may end up costing you three times the cost of people who use natural gas. Saving money is a big reason why people are utilizing natural gas more and more, but this isn’t the only reason. By choosing to use natural gas as an energy source, people are helping their environment become a cleaner more healthy place to live.

Steps to Take for Natural Gas Leak

Natural gas is colorless and odorless, so mercaptan has been added to give it a distinct smell. If you suspect there may be a gas leak the first thing you should do is extinguish any open flames. Candles, lighters and the stove should be shut off immediately. Avoid doing anything that may cause a spark such as turning on a light switch.

Make sure to alert anyone in the area about this leak so that they can take the necessary safety steps as well. Move a safe distance away from the leak and contact the proper authorities. Never attempt to extinguish a natural gas fire or fix a gas leak, leave this up to a specialist.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *